When your child is absent from school, in order for the absence to be excused we need a parent to inform the school office by 9:00 A.M. We know it is difficult to get through in the morning, so feel free to call and leave a message or send an email to the Absentee Notification address. If you know that your student will be out for multiple days, please call so that a prearranged absence notification can be sent to the team. We need to know on a daily basis where your child is. It is much quicker verifying where a student might be if parents call the school office. We appreciate your help in this matter.
Dear Parent or Guardian:
The educational staff of Academy District 20 believes that regular daily attendance enhances students' academic success and that requested absences may create undue hardship for students. Therefore, when requesting a prearranged absence, consider the following:
· District 20 Board of Education policy (see below).
· Your child's total educational experience.
· Your child's current academic performance.
· The classroom activities and co-curricular activities your child may miss.
· The additional time and effort required to make up work missed.
· Please be aware that teachers cannot ensure that equivalent academic experience can be provided for students who miss class. The classroom experience is not easily duplicated; any absence results in loss of instruction.
Academy District 20 Student Absences and Excuses/Truancy Policy (JH/JHB)
The Board of Education believes that regular, daily attendance is a key factor in student achievement. All students are expected to attend school for all days of the established school calendar as approved by the Board of Education, and in compliance with Colorado School Attendance Law.
When absences occur, they will be treated as either excused or unexcused. Excused absences are defined as:
· Absences approved by the principal or his/her designee.
· Absences due to temporary illness or injury.
· Absences for an extended period of time due to physical, mental or emotional disabilities.
· Absences while in the custody of the court or law enforcement authorities, if such absences are not also during a period of the student's suspension or expulsion from school.
· Absences for religious observances.
· Absences for a work study program under the supervision of the student's school.
· Absences for school approved activities.
If you decide that your child must miss school, please contact the Attendance Clerk, Mrs. VanWijk, at 234-3040 at least four (4) days prior to the absence to arrange for a pre-arranged absence notification to be sent to the team of teachers. Your child is responsible for obtaining all assignments and completing all missed work. Deadlines for makeup work are determined at each school site. The school administration has the discretion to not approve a pre-arranged absence if the length of the absence causes the child to miss too much school. If you have any questions, please call the main office at 234-3000.